Sweet Potato and Turkey Sausage Kale Casserole
Serving Size: 1/6 recipe (~4 inch by 4 inch square)
First Line Therapy Servings: (1.5 protein, 1 category 1 vegetable, ½ category 2 vegetable, 1 fat)
Nutrition Breakdown: 256 calories, 10 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fat, 32 grams protein
Recipe Reposted and Modified From cookbook Naturally Nourished: Food-as-Medicine for Optimal Health written by Ali Miller, RD, LD, CDE
1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 sweet potato, cut into ½” cubes (~1.5 cups)
1 Tbsp chili powder
½ tsp sea salt
16 ounces ground turkey (95% lean or leaner)
6 whole eggs
10 egg whites
1 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond or coconut milk)
1 Tbsp sage, chopped
1 bunch curly kale, torn into 1” pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat cast-iron skillet and melt coconut oil.
- Saute onion and sweet potato cubes, sprinkle with chili powder and sea salt, saute for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Once sweet potatoes and onion are soft, add ground turkey and heat until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- While the meat is browning, whisk eggs with milk and fresh chopped sage, set aside.
- Once cooked through (not pink) add curly kale and stir until coated in juices and beginning to soften, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spread veggie and turkey mixture into 12×9” casserole pan.
- Once distributed throughout, pour in egg mixture and press down to ensure all veggies are covered.
- Bake in oven covered for first 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until eggs are cooked through and casserole is set in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 8-10 minutes prior to cutting into 6 pieces.